Classic Pot Roast
Classic beef pot roast is comforting and hearty. Make this recipe for a traditional Sunday dinner your family will enjoy.
6 hrs 25 mins
- 4 lb. Certified Angus Beef ® chuck roast
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and cut in large pieces
- 3 large carrots, peeled and cut in chunks
- 3 stalks celery, cut in chunks
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 8 black peppercorns
- 1 (6 oz.) can tomato paste
- 3 cups red wine
- 4 cups beef stock
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Preheat Dutch oven on stovetop at medium-high heat. Season roast with freshly ground black pepper. Add oil to pan until hot.
- Add roast and sear on all sides; remove from pan. Add onion, carrots, celery, thyme, bay leaves and peppercorns to pan; allow vegetables to brown, stirring occasionally.
- Add tomato paste and cook 2 to 3 minutes. Deglaze pan with red wine and cook another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add roast back to pan and add beef stock, or transfer roast and pan contents to a slow cooker. Cover and place plan in oven, or cook in slow cooker on low.
- Braise approximately 6 hours, until fork tender.
Nutrition Facts470 Calories Per ServingFat: 18gSaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 150mgSodium: 500mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 2gSugars: 4gProtein: 50g
Actual nutritional values may vary depending on specific ingredients used and/or modifications to the recipe