Apple Cider Brined Roasted Turkey and Gravy
Savor the flavors of Fall with this apple cider brined turkey recipe from Schnucks.
- 8 cups apple cider, divided
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 1/4 cups plus 2 tsp. salt, divided
- 3 tbsp. whole allspice
- 1 Schnucks fresh of frozen turkey, thawed
- 48 oz. less-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup Schnucks unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup Schnucks all-purpose flour
- 16 cups cold water
- Prepare brine by heating 4 cups cider, bay leaves, 1 1/4 cups salt and allspice in saucepan over high heat; stir to dissolve salt. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Remove giblets, neck and liver from turkey. Place turkey in 3 gallon stainless steel stockpot or another suitable container. Pour cold water, remaining apple cider and cooled brine mixture over turkey. Place heavy plate on turkey to completely submerge in brine; refrigerate 12-14 hours.
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Remove turkey from stockpot; discard brine. Rinse turkey under cool running water and pat dry with paper towels. Place roasting rack in large, heavy metal roasting pan. Pour 1 cup broth in bottom of pan. Place turkey, breast side up, on rack; tuck wing tips under turkey to hold in place. Sprinkle turkey with pepper and remaining 2 teaspoons salt. Cover turkey loosely with aluminum foil.
- Roast turkey 1 hour; remove foil from turkey and baste with some melted butter. Continue basting every 30 minutes. Rotate pan halfway through roasting time. If turkey becomes too brown, re-cover loosely with aluminum foil. Roast turkey 2 1/2 to 3 hours longer or until juices run clear and internal temperature reaches 160°F in thickest part of thigh, making sure thermometer doesn’t touch bone. Transfer turkey to platter or cutting board. Cover loosely with aluminum foil to keep warm. (Internal temperature will rise 5°-10°F upon standing 15 minutes.)
- Meanwhile, remove rack from roasting pan. Place roasting pan with drippings across 2 burners over medium heat. With whisk, stir in flour; cook 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Slowly stir in remaining broth and heat to simmering, stirring to remove browned bits from bottom of pan. Simmer 8-10 minutes or until gravy thickens, stirring frequently.
Nutrition Facts561 Calories Per ServingFat: 21gSaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 298mgSodium: 2353mgCarbohydrates: 7gSugars: 3gProtein: 77g
Actual nutritional values may vary depending on specific ingredients used and/or modifications to the recipe