Turkey and Cauliflower Mash Shepherd’s Pie
Try this healthier alternative to traditional Shepherd’s Pie using turkey instead of beef and mashed cauliflower instead of mashed potatoes.
- 1 1/2 lb. cauliflower, cut into chunks
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 cup non-fat sour cream
- 1 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup Schnucks reduced-fat shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1/4 cup celery, chopped
- 1 lb. lean ground turkey
- 1 (14.4 oz.) bag Schnucks freshly frozen mixed vegetables
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped
- In a steamer or steamer basket over boiling water, cook cauliflower for 15 minutes until soft. Place cauliflower in a colander to drain off excess liquid. Add cauliflower, cheese, sour cream, butter and salt to a food processor and mix until smooth. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add the olive oil, onion, garlic and celery; sauté for 2–3 minutes until fragrant. Add the turkey, breaking into small chunks. Cook for 6–8 more minutes until turkey is cooked through. Stir in the vegetables, tomato paste and parsley. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until thickened. Season with salt and pepper.
- Divide the filling among six individual sixteen ounce oven safe dishes, top with mashed cauliflower. Bake for 15 minutes, or until mash begins to brown. Cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts262 Calories Per ServingFat: 13gSaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 66mgSodium: 450mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 6gSugars: 5gProtein: 22g
Actual nutritional values may vary depending on specific ingredients used and/or modifications to the recipe