Steak Fajita Bowl with Quinoa
Marinated steak takes center stage in a customizable medley of fresh flavors! With a base of fiber-packed quinoa, the possibilities are endless.
- 1 lb. lean flank steak, trimmed of fat and scored in a crisscross pattern
- 3/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro, divided, plus additional for garnish
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp. low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 lime, juiced, plus additional wedges for garnish
- 1 tbsp. ground cumin
- 2 tbsp. minced garlic, divided
- 2 tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (15 oz.) can no-salt-added black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, sliced
- Place steak in a large bowl or resealable plastic bag. In a small bowl, combine 1/2 cup cilantro, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, lime juice, cumin, 1 tablespoon garlic and 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add salt and black pepper to taste. Pour mixture over steak, cover or seal, and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- In a medium saucepan, heat 1 teaspoon olive oil over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon garlic and cook about 1 minute, stirring frequently, or until lightly browned. Add quinoa and cook about 30 seconds, stirring frequently, or until slightly toasted. Pour in broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, 15 minutes. Stir in black beans and tomatoes. Cook 5 more minutes or until quinoa is tender. Stir in 1/4 cup cilantro. Add salt and black pepper to taste. Cover and let stand.
- Meanwhile, drain steak and discard marinade. In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 teaspoon olive oil over medium-high heat. Add steak and reduce to medium heat. Cook 5 to 10 minutes for medium-rare (130-135 degrees F) to medium (135-140 degrees F), turning once. Remove, cover and let rest 5 minutes.
- Add the remaining olive oil to skillet and heat over medium-high heat. Add onion and bell peppers. Cook 3 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until softened and edges start to brown.
- To serve, thinly slice steak against the grain. Divide quinoa mixture evenly amongst four bowls. Top with steak plus the onion and peppers mixture. Add any additional toppings, if desired, and garnish with additional cilantro and lime wedges.
Nutrition Facts547 Calories Per ServingFat: 17gSaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 70mgSodium: 685mgCarbohydrates: 60gFiber: 9gSugars: 6gProtein: 41g
Actual nutritional values may vary depending on specific ingredients used and/or modifications to the recipe