Spiced Pear Upside Down Cake
This fluffy holiday cake features sweet and spiced pears. You can even bake it the day before, making it the perfect make-ahead dessert.
2 hrs 30 mins
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter, plus more for pan
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 orange, zested & juiced (about 1/3 cup juice)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cranberry juice
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 4 small Bosc pears, peeled, halved lengthwise & cored
- 1 1/2 cups Schnucks sugar
- 1 cup unsalted roasted walnuts
- 1 1/2 tsp. Schnucks baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp. Schnucks cinnamon
- 4 eggs
- 1 Schnucks vegetable oil
- Coat a 10-inch-round, 2-inch-deep cake pan with cooking spray. Line with parchment paper coated with butter, then flour the pan.
- In a medium skillet, add butter, orange juice, cranberry juice and molasses over medium heat. Cook until bubbling, about 4 minutes. Add pears and cook about 3 minutes. Turn over; cook until slightly softened, about 3 minutes more. Arrange pears, cut sides down, in prepared cake pan. Continue cooking orange juice mixture until syrupy, 5 minutes more; pour over pears. Transfer cake pan to freezer so syrup will set up (don't let it freeze), about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a food processor or blender, pulse 11/2 cups flour and walnuts until nuts are finely ground. Add baking powder, baking soda, salt, ginger and cinnamon; pulse to mix.
- In a medium bowl, beat together eggs, orange zest and sugar with an electric mixer until fluffy, about 5 minutes. Fold in walnut mixture in two parts. Stir in oil. Pour batter over pears and syrup. Smooth with a spatula.
- Transfer cake pan to a foil-lined sheet pan; bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 50–60 minutes. Let cool in cake pan on a wire rack 30 minutes. Run a knife around cake's edge and invert onto a serving plate. Remove parchment and let cool 30 minutes more.
Nutrition Facts562 Calories Per ServingFat: 33gSaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 77mgSodium: 239mgCarbohydrates: 62gFiber: 3gSugars: 43gProtein: 7g
Actual nutritional values may vary depending on specific ingredients used and/or modifications to the recipe