Cottage Cheese Mashed Potatoes
Elevate traditional mashed potatoes with this lightened-up recipe! The cottage cheese adds a protein boost while offering the same creamy, rich flavor you love.
- 1 garlic bulb
- 2 tsp. Schnucks olive oil
- 4 lb. russet potatoes, peeled & cubed
- 2 cups low-fat cottage cheese
- 4 tbsp. Schnucks 2% milk, warmed
- 1 tbsp. chopped fresh chives, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Slice off top 1/4 inch of garlic bulb, removing extra skin while keeping bulb intact.
- Put garlic, cut side up, onto a square of foil and drizzle with oil. Tightly seal foil around garlic to make a packet; roast until center is very soft, about 40 minutes. Remove garlic from packet and let cool. Gently squeeze bulb to remove cloves.
- Add potatoes to a large pot, cover with cold water and, if desired, sprinkle with salt. Bring to a gentle boil over medium-high heat; cook until potatoes are fork-tender, 20–25 minutes. Drain, return to pot and mash until smooth.
- In a large food processor or blender, add roasted garlic, cottage cheese and warm milk. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Blend, scraping sides and bottom as needed, until smooth and creamy, 5–6 minutes. Stir into potatoes until well combined. Serve garnished with chives.
For a lower-carb version, swap the potatoes for steamed cauliflower florets (about 2lb.).
Nutrition Facts251 Calories Per ServingFat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 4mgSodium: 350mgCarbohydrates: 43gFiber: 6gSugars: 6gProtein: 15g
Actual nutritional values may vary depending on specific ingredients used and/or modifications to the recipe