Need dinner plans? Try this Aztec chili!
1 hr 10 mins
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 lb. lean ground beef
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 fresh poblano pepper, finely diced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1/2 tsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. oregano
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 32 oz. chicken stock
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (15 oz.) pumpkin puree
- 1 can (15 oz.) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- In a heavy bottom stock pot, heat oil over medium-high heat and cook beef for 5 minutes, or until lightly browned. Strain and set aside.
- In the same pot, heat the remaining oil and add onion, garlic, poblano and pepper. Cook and stir for 5 minutes or until tender.
- Stir in cocoa powder, cumin, oregano, cinnamon and cayenne. Add broth and tomatoes. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer covered for 10 minutes, or until beef is tender.
- Stir in pumpkin, beans, and desired amount of salt and black pepper, heat through.
- If desired, top with fresh cilantro, tortilla strips and sour cream.